CMAP Communications and Outreach Department
Associate Designer (AD2017)
January 19, 2017
Job Category: Associate
Experience Required: 2 years' minimum
Salary Range: $54,000 to $66,933
The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) is seeking to hire an Associate Designer to join our in-house communication design studio and to help shape the agency's electronic and print communications. CMAP is our region's comprehensive planning organization and CMAP's Policy Committee is the designated metropolitan planning organization. The agency and its partners are developing ON TO 2050, a new comprehensive regional plan to help the seven counties and 284 communities of northeastern Illinois implement strategies that address transportation, housing, economic development, open space, the environment, and other quality-of-life issues. Seewww.cmap.illinois.govfor more information, and details regarding benefits are atwww.cmap.illinois.gov/about/careers#benefits.
CMAP is committed to the proposition that good design is integral to maximizing the impact of excellent regional planning and achieving positive outcomes. Since its creation, the agency has come to rely on a strong design perspective that informs not only our branding but our planning and policy materials, many of which require illustrations and data-driven infographics to precisely yet engagingly convey technical information. The Associate Designer will contribute to development of a highly graphical and interactive set of web materials, in addition to multiple print formats, including ON TO 2050. This position would work closely with CMAP's design and web development contractors that provides support for these activities.
Responsibilities of the Associate Designer will include:
- Contribute substantially and creatively to CMAP's communication efforts, specificially through excellent web and print design. Working as part of a team of communications and policy experts, help to translate the policy and planning objectives of the agency into digital and print communications. This includes concepting and executing integrated online and print design pieces and iniatives for the CMAP website, print reports and planning documents, promotional materials for major outreach efforts, and precise and innovative online and print infrographics and maps.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Demonstrated skills in critical thinking and problem solving through use of graphic design.
- Ability to translate complex concepts into engaging, often data-driven visuals.
- Excellent typography and layout skills and understanding of graphic design theory -- balance, special relationships (negative and proximity), movement, color theory, contrast, unity, repetition.
- Experience developing of infographics and data visualizations and demonstrated ability to articulate design concepts and decisions.
- Full command of Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop).
- Expert understanding of image resolutions, CMYK/PMS/RGB color formats, file formats, and their relationships to print and web applications.
- Understanding of common UI patterns and design methodologies.
- Experience working with print vendors, illustrators, and photographers, as well as working with Xerox printers and offset presses.
- Comfort with contributing to an iterative design process that includes consideration of feedback and willingness to accept constructive criticism.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to complex projects and work as part of a team.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a PC-based environment.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Recommended
- Experience presenting work to clients, partners, and team members.
- Command of HTML, CSS, and other standards for web design and graphics.
- Experience and interest in working with geospatial design and maps (including various GIS software and Mapbox products).
- Experience preparing web content for an enterprise-level CMS.
- Ability to draw and sketch design concepts and thumbnails.
- Experience proofreading and knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Experience with Adobe Bridge.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design or visual communications required.
- At least two years of experience working as a graphic designer either in the private or public sector, in-house, or as a freelance consultant.
- Familiarity with topics of planning and urban design is a plus.
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter, portfolio, and rsum via the web at www.cmap.illinois.gov/about/careers. Refer to Job Code (AD2017).
Posting End Date
This posting will close on February 19, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. CST. All applications must be completed and submitted within that timeframe.
The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates only! It is NOT OK for recruiters or others to solicit this company.