This is advanced professional work involving the development of
images used in a variety of creative projects which have a bearing
on communications both within and outside the City of Miami Beach.
Emphasis is on designs which integrate typographic, photographic,
illustrative and graphic elements. The position has overall
responsibility for the total design function within the City and
requires strong design capabilities and proficiency in software
applications. The position emphasizes four fields of visual
communication engineering including Branding, Marketing, Design,
Illustrative Examples of Essential Duties:
- Manages quality-control standards and consistency of the Miami
Beach brand to ensure maximum brand value.
- Implements the Miami Beach brand City-wide over time by
redesigning all internal and external
- Uses brand knowledge to brand departments as sub-brands of the
larger Miami Beach brand.
- Trains all design-related positions within the City on brand
standards of Miami Beach.
- Meets with project managers to create design concepts including
print advertisements, billboards,
- brochures/guides, etc.
- Manages all aspects of projects from inception to completion
and provides updates to project team members to ensure timelines
- Manages payment process for projects to ensure good standing
with vendors and contractors.
- Utilizes marketing strategies to implement creative campaigns
for maximum effectiveness.
- Creates awareness of City programs and services using creative
methods to increase resident and business satisfaction with the
amount of knowledge they receive.
- Makes marketing plans that are in line with the budget and
maximize the return on investment.
- Tracks effectiveness of implemented marketing plans and makes
adjustments where necessary
- Creates POS and B2C materials to increase effectiveness of
DESIGN: PRINT/TRADITIONAL MEDIA
- Plans, organizes, directs and coordinates original creative,
typesetting, digital printing, digital imaging and graphic
- Designs City publications including MB magazine, MBLine,
Strategic Plan and Annual Report.
- Consults design-related positions in various departments and
monitors progress of new design standard implementation.
- Writes copy for publications and proofreads all communication
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge in the visual communication
DESIGN: WEB/NON-TRADITIONAL MEDIA
- Consults with and designs the City's website in conjunction
with the IT Department
- Creates web sites for high-profile projects.
- Creates television graphics for the City's television
- Creates storyboards and creative concepts for commercials for
high profile events.
- Directs high profile events commercials and ensures play on
local and national television outlets.
- Leads eNewsletters standards for design and analytics with a
focus on continuous improvement.
- Makes edits to the Miami Beach web site as required.
- Integrate CMS and administer back-end up-dates as
- Follows web trends to enable changes when required.
- Acquires knowledge to implement SEO sites.
- Establishes production schedules for printing and ensures
delivery date based on production staff and vendors.
- Monitors costs and budget based on agency-equivalency to track
City savings and keep expenses to a minimum.
- Works on special, high visibility projects involving several
departments, contractors, and outside firms.
- Ensures complete and thorough knowledge of total history and
changes on projects and ensures that job status and history are
effectively communicated to members of project team members.
- Bachelor's Degree in a communication or design-related area of
- Minimum of three (3) year's professional experience.
- Strong design portfolio and writing samples.
- Proficiency in Spanish is highly recommended.