Atlas Obscura is looking for a junior or mid-level designer to join our team. The role will be embedded within the Product team working alongside Design, Engineering, and the COO to conceive and execute site improvements and fine tune our digital experience while also introducing new features and functionality to our digital properties.
You'll also work across departments to create digital mock-ups and to design materials for our sales, editorial, and events teams. You'll work within an existing brand vocabulary and have a role in helping to shape and define new extensions of our quickly-growing brand.
We are looking for someone who is:
- Well organized, articulate, detail-oriented, and a problem solver
- Passionate about clear, functional design
- Keen on defining-and sometimes redefining-functional requirements for user interfaces
- A multi-faceted design-thinker who knows about brand systems, user experience, usability, development technology, and web standards
The ideal candidate has:
- Some branding and identity design experience or has worked successfully within an established brand system
- Great understanding of typography and classic design concepts
- Ability to work swiftly and iteratively on multiple, overlapping projects
- An obvious passion for clear and functional design, responsive layouts, usability standards, and web technologies
- A portfolio demonstrating a solid understanding of the above
- 1-3 years professional design experience
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator and InDesign, Keynote and Pages
What will make you stand out:
- Experience coding your own designs with HTML and CSS
- An ability to demonstrate and articulate your design process
- Experience working collaboratively
- A passion for Atlas Obscura's mission and a deep curiosity about the world
If this sounds like you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with "Designer" in the subject line, your cover letter in the body of your email, a PDF resume, and link(s) to portfolio. Please note, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
To prevent spam, this private address forwards directly to an employer @atlasobscura.com
Candidates only! It is NOT OK for recruiters or others to solicit this company.