Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM), an internationally recognized presenter of contemporary performing arts and cinema, is looking for a full time Graphic Designer to join our in-house design team. The Designer will maintain and enhance BAM's adventurous brand through conceptualization, design, and production of a broad range of graphic design deliverables including printed, screen-based, and environmental materials. This job reports to the Associate Director of Design and the Senior Interactive Designer, who in turn report to the Creative Director. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and maintain graphic design for the full range of BAM's programming across all digital and print platforms that is typographically sophisticated, on-brand, and in line with our mission.
- Balance strong design direction with issues such as client needs, deadlines, and budget limitations.
- Conceptualize, design, and occasionally provide art direction
- Printed materials (including brochures, posters, and signage)
- Our primary website-BAM.org (dynamic and static content)
- Micro-sites and blogs
- Environmental screens (templates and assets for exterior and interior digital signage, and dynamic cinema content)
- Online advertising (e.g. banner ads)
- Motion graphics and title design (e.g. BAM-branded videos)
- Social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram)
- Marketing email (for the general public and members)
- Research the latest trends in design, typography, photography, art, and culture.
- Keep up with online best practices in creating an exceptional user experience that best represents BAM digitally.
- Train and advise interns on various projects.
- 3 - 5 years professional design experience or graduate degree in graphic design
- A strong understanding of typography and layout
- Knowledge and understanding of Adobe Creative Suite (especially Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign; basic understanding of Premiere and AfterEffects preferred)
- An interest in current trends in web design and user interaction
- A portfolio demonstrating relevant experience
- Strong ability to take initiative
- Proactive problem-solving proficiency
- Ability to gracefully multi-task, prioritize, and communicate effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to articulate ideas and concerns to third party collaborators for larger projects
- Ability to evolve with creative technologies
- Ability to work within a team, and clearly communicate ideas through critique
- Ability to articulate ideas and concerns to clients
- Ability to devise innovative design strategies for new programming initiatives
- An interest in the performing arts is a plus
Candidates only! It is NOT OK for recruiters or others to solicit this company.