ABOUT CHICAGO SHAKESPEARE THEATER
A global theatrical force, Chicago Shakespeare Theater (CST), is known for vibrant productions that reflect Shakespeare's genius for storytelling, language and empathy for the human condition. CST has evolved into a dynamic company, producing award-winning plays at our home on Navy Pier, throughout Chicago's schools and neighborhoods, and on stages around the world. Reporting to the Marketing Director, the Graphic Designer/Production Artist is an action-oriented position that strengthens the Theater's ability to successfully communicate with members of its target markets and achieve sales/fundraising goals for a year-long season that encompasses over 600 performances from a wide variety of artistic programs.
CST seeks a smart, professional, creative and talented Graphic Designer/Production Artist to work on an extensive mix of projects. On a given day, the portfolio of work ranges from print ads and digital art for theatrical productions to large-scale communication initiatives and support materials for fundraising and education efforts. This vital member of our company independently initiates and develops design/concepts through final production files, and is expected to take ownership of projects from inception through completion, with support from the Marketing Assistant for Advertising and Publications. Working hand-in-hand with the Marketing Director and theater leadership for design direction, the Graphic Designer/Production Artist collaborates with the highly creative team of arts lovers that make up the Theater's administrative team to translate business strategies into compelling visual and communications solutions.
DESIGN SKILLS AND EXPERTISE
- BA in Graphic Design
- 3-5 years professional experience
- A portfolio demonstrating a high level of creative ability, an eye for typography, diversity of style and a mix of mediums (including print and digital)
- Fluency in Adobe Creative Suite, with particular strengths in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Advanced knowledge of pre-press processes for print and best-practices for email/website graphics
- Strong branding skills and ability to follow brand standards/guidelines
ORGANIZATIONAL AND WORK SKILLS
- Work efficiently within a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines and self-manage when necessary
- Unique solutions and flawless execution
- Participate in staff meetings and brainstorming sessions-bringing fresh ideas and a new perspective
- Remain current on industry trends and technology
- An appreciation and enthusiasm for the performing arts
- Present, rationalize and articulate design ideas in a professional manner through superior verbal and interpersonal skills
- A willingness to engage with and understand a business' communication strategies/challenges to better inform design decisions and final creative product
- Equally comfortable working independently or as part of a group
- Detail-oriented, organized approach to managing graphic project archive, stock image library and fonts
Compensation is commensurate with qualification and experience, and is competitive with prevailing compensation for similar positions within the non-profit performing arts industry. Benefits include medical and dental insurance, vacation pay and sick leave and personal time, and a 403(b) retirement program.
Application Deadline: December 5, 2016. Qualified candidates are requested to send a resume, salary history, link to online portfolio (or 5 PDF samples), and a brief cover letter describing your interest, experience, and how you heard about this position to email@example.com.
Candidates of interest will be contacted by a representative of the Theater. Please no calls, mailings or faxes. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all to apply.
To prevent spam, this private address forwards directly to an employer @chicagoshakes.com
Candidates only! It is NOT OK for recruiters or others to solicit this company.