Jonathan Williams is an award-winning illustrator with 19 years of professional experience. A masters graduate of Edinburgh College of Art, he worked as a designer and art director commissioning some of the UK's most celebrated artists before turning freelance himself in 2000. His images now appear in publications, books and retail outlets worldwide, helping to build familiar brands such as Virgin, Orange, Diageo, Unilever and Benetton. This year he was shortlisted twice for the prestigious V&A illustration awards. Jonathan lives and works from a farmhouse in the Buchan plains north of Aberdeen (Scotland), a beautiful and sometimes desolate landscape best viewed from a fur-lined parka.
+44(0)5600 479886 office
+44(0)1651 891876 fax
+44(0)7867 526477 mobile
- Illustrator / Designer
- Edinburgh / Oxford / Fyvie, United Kingdom
Jan 1993 - Present
- Jonathan Williams
- Supplying artwork from a given brief for books, magazines, brochures, posters, packaging, storyboards, animation, murals, maps and diagrams. Advanced use of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Quark, Acrobat, Word and Excel. Basic use of HTML and CSS.
- Oxford, United Kingdom
Mar 1999 - Feb 2000
- Pearson Education
- Design and art-direction for a series of big books and activity sheets for shared reading in literacy hour. Advanced use of Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, and Acrobat.
- Oxford, United Kingdom
Mar 1997 - Mar 1999
- Lion Hudson
- Design and art-direction for a broad range of titles - from children’s illustrated books to reference books - as well as catalogues, packaging, exhibitions, point-of-sale and other marketing materials. Advanced use of Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, and Acrobat.
- Book Designer
- Leicester, United Kingdom
Sep 1995 - Mar 1997
- Inter-Varsity Press
- Design and illustration for books, combining traditional drawing, painting and printmaking skills with digital media. Advanced use of Photoshop, Freehand and Quark.
- AOI Images
- Images is the UK's leading illustration competition, dedicated to showcasing the very best contemporary illustration. Jonathan's work has been selected for Images 18, 24 and 26-31. In 2006 his images for Virgin Atlantic's Upper Class Suite advertising campaign received a Bronze Award.
- American Illustration
- With hundreds of images selected by an outstanding jury from thousands of entries, American Illustration lives up to its reputation as the best resource for cutting-edge talent that’s always on the mark. Jonathan's work has been chosen for American Illustration 21 and 28.
- The Grocery Advertising and Marketing Industry Awards were created to celebrate the best creative campaigns in the FMCG marketing. They highlight both client and agency contribution to creative excellence. In 2006 Jonathan's ads for Ecolab were recognised with a Gramia award.
- Creativematch Flair
- In April 2004 Jonathan won Flair Illustrator of the Month for his cover illustration of Robert Tressel's novel The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists.