Gear Patrol is seeking a talented full-time Associate Staff Photographer to join our growing creative team.
Associate Staff Photographers are members of Gear Patrol's creative team that are eager to learn and grow as a core member of the creative staff. To do this successfully requires a keen eye, a working knowledge of studio lighting techniques and best practices and an ability to execute photo shoots to Gear Patrol's creative standards on tight timelines. Associate Staff Photographers must also have demonstrable skills in retouching and post-processing.
We are interested in applicants with experience photographing a mix of studio scenes and on-location lifestyle. Experience in a product-focused environment or for an online or print publication is incredibly beneficial.
The ideal candidate will know the major trends in the space, and habitually monitor other outlets, social media feeds and their peers for ideas. Associate Staff Photographers are highly encouraged to pitch visually-centered stories for both web and print consideration. They must likewise value creative execution and audience engagement equally and obsesses as much over post performance as they do on creative prowess. Finally, they must be highly capable project managers who stay involved with stories from pitch to execution.
The role will report directly to the Deputy Photography Editor while working closely with other stakeholders including the Senior Art Director, Deputy Editor of Gear Patrol Studios (our branded content studio), Staff Writers, our Social Media Editor and members of our branded content team.
- Actively pitch and pursue photo-focused editorial stories and projects.
- Serve as lead photographer and design team representative during select studio, field, and remote shoots. This will involve travel (domestic and international) as assigned, occasionally on short notice.
- Work alongside the Deputy Photo Editor to help execute, organize and improve on Gear Patrol's photography strategy.
- Support the Deputy Photo Editor by developing and producing editorial, native advertising and content studio photography.
- Monitor the quality and quantity of all photography to ensure it's in line with company goals and guidelines.
- Coordinate with the Deputy Photo Editor to assist in overseeing the development and execution of day-to-day photo production and tasks.
- Ensure all design assets are properly archived.
- Manage and maintain Gear Patrol photography equipment.
- Work alongside Gear Patrol's commerce, branded content, and social media teams to address relevant photography needs.
- Monitor the competitive publishing landscape and identify potential best practices, tools and strategies that Gear Patrol's design team should adopt.
- Support Gear Patrol's efforts to earn industry recognition and awards.
- Serve as an ambassador of Gear Patrol's design team while attending external events and projects.
- A passion for products and service journalism.
- A working knowledge of photography, studio lighting fundamentals and spatial awareness.
- At least 1-2 years of experience providing photographic content for media or brands.
- Familiarity with online content management systems such as WordPress.
- Familiarity with Adobe Photo suite.
- Familiarity with Studio lighting techniques and best practices.
- Familiarity with social media platforms including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Snapchat.
- Must be a self-starter, highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Must work efficiently under pressure and take feedback constructively.
- Must apply a solutions-first approach to projects, responsibilities and challenges.
- Bachelor's Degree or formal course work in Photography or similar field.
- A strong sense of urgency.
- Retouching experience
- A willingness to travel and work non-traditional hours as the assignment or news cycle dictates.
How to Apply:
Please send your well-designed CV/resume in PDF form, + a link to your portfolio and Linkedin profile, as well as a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading: "Associate Staff Photographer". In your email, please also include:
- A brief introduction of yourself and why you believe you're a fit for our team.
- Links or files of 3-5 work samples or a portfolio that gives us a clear idea of your skill set(s), problem-solving ability and creative approach.
- Links to any other previous work applicable to Gear Patrol.
Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Please regard your resume as received unless your email bounces back.
Candidates only! It is NOT OK for recruiters or others to solicit this company.