Title: Creative Design Director
Department: Branding & Marketing
Salary: $90,000 - $100,000
Direct Report: Marketing Executive-In-Residence
Travel Requirement: None
Location: Remote | California, Illinois, New Jersey, and
Washington Residents Preferred
The mission of LeadersUp is to bridge the divide between the
untapped potential of young people and the business challenge of
finding and keeping the best talent. We believe strategic
investments in human capital is the key to creating an economically
inclusive society and widening the circle of opportunity for
under-served communities. We strive to fulfill our mission by
engaging employers to design, test, and sustain career
pathway-centered talent solutions that are demand-driven and
Established in 2013 by Starbucks Corporation and launched by
forward-thinking business leaders, LeadersUp is an independent
501(c)3 nonprofit and social enterprise that works to address the
burgeoning talent divide and the national youth disconnection
crisis. Incorporated in the State of Washington, LeadersUp has a
market presence in Los Angeles, Chicago, and the San Francisco Bay
Area with plans to expand into other markets across the nation. In
addition to our youth development and workforce training services,
we also provide industry analysis, program management, and
technical assistance/strategy development for private, government,
and nongovernment entities interested in connecting the industry to
the next generation of diverse talent.
The Creative Design Director ("Director") will support the
Executive-in-Residence (EIR) of Branding & Marketing to lead
LeadersUp's creative vision. The Director will drive the
development of an overall creative strategy that reflects the
organization's brand, mission, and objectives. The Director will
partner with the EIR in leading a small creative team consisting of
a writer, designer, and videographer and will collaborate with
other departments to brainstorm, develop, and produce creative
- Quickly integrate into LeadersUp and partner closely with the
Marketing EIR as a creative leader and thought partner who will
drive forward a consistent and inspiring creative voice for the
- Lead and develop a creative team of a writer, designer, and
videographer through creative ideation, development, and asset
- Guide and execute design for upcoming program/product launches,
marketing materials, website, and social.
- Develop an updated brand identity for LeadersUp, in partnership
with the EIR Marketing & Communications and Creative teams,
that will guide the creative look and feel across the
- Create creative assets and templates for the org, including
report templates, deck templates, image library, graphic library,
- Collaborate with the EIR and other teams across the
organization to ensure alignment with branding and organizational
goals and objectives.
- Track industry marketing and communications trends and
incorporate industry changes, standards and principles
- Other duties as assigned.
- Directly supervises personnel within the department.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the
organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training
personnel; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising
performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing
complaints and resolving problems.
- 10+ years of relevant professional experience.
- 5+ years managing and growing a creative team.
- Leadership expertise in graphic, marketing, and branding
design, with related experience in product, web, and information
- Proven experience developing, leading, and executing a
consistent creative vision across products, programs, and
- Leadership and exceptional expertise in creative direction,
graphic design, and art direction, with a particular emphasis on
marketing/branding design and related experience in product, web,
and information design.
- High level of analytical, data interpretation, and
problem-solving skills with a demonstrated track record of turning
data and complex information into clear and concise creative
assets, e.g., presentation decks, reports.
- Proficiency with web-based applications (Google Suite and
Basecamp), social media platforms, and Microsoft Office.
- Proven experience with a variety of design and video platforms,
including Adobe Suite, Canva, and Frame.io.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to be flexible and work collaboratively as a team
within a dynamic, virtual work environment.
We're looking for someone who
- Is both a creative and strategic leader looking to both
establish a creative vision for an organization and also roll up
their sleeves and do the work.
- Enjoys working side-by-side with strategy and values the
importance of insights and objectives and asking the right
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and lives by a "yes, and"
- Believes in the hard work of creating an inclusive economy and
seeks to champion those values through their work.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Frequently required to sit.
- Frequently required to hear.