The Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) is seeking a Deputy Director of Design to join our growing Product & Design team. Reporting to the Director of Product and Design, the candidate will be the lead designer on a varied portfolio of projects, and will supervise a small team of graphic, data visualization, and UI/UX designers.
The major responsibilities of this position will include (but are not limited to):
- Serving as lead designer as needed on large and small-scale projects such as editorial, education, and branding iniatitives. This will include contributing at each stage of the product development process; from conception to implementation, across a responsive platform
- Facilitating design communication across a multidisciplinary team throughout each phase of a project, clearly articulating design rationale
- Creating low-fidelity prototypes to quickly visualize, sketch, and communicate solutions to complex design problems
- Contributing to product design thought leadership; champion and evangelize a scalable, user-centered, data-informed, and agile design process
- Maintaining and assisting in the evolution of the CFR visual style guide, ensuring that all work adheres to brand guidelines
- Supervising and mentoring a small team of designers
- Keeping current in industry trends and seeking ways to apply new UI/UX principles
- Seven or more years of related design experience, working on cross-functional teams
- Signficant supervisory skills
- Comprehensive understanding of design principles, notably UI and UX; include sketches, flows, mid-fidelity interactions (show your process)
- Significant experience designing for online news and information or other content-rich sites
- Strong knowledge of industry standard design software (Adobe CS, Sketch, etc.)
- Familiarity with Lean UX practices a plus
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS a plus
- Result-oriented project manager, with proven ability to to meet project timelines
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in visual design, human interaction or related field
- Demonstrated interest in current events and foreign policy strongly preferred
Please include a link to an online portfolio and resume upon applying.
Candidates only! It is NOT OK for recruiters or others to solicit this company.