The City of Portland, Oregon invites applications for the position of Graphic Designer III.
- Salary: $33.40 - $42.65 Hourly
- Recruitment is Open -Apply now at:www.portlandoregon.gov/jobs
- Recruitment Closes:11:59 pm pacific standard time on Monday, November 13, 2017.
The Mission of Portland's Bureau of Development Services is to promote safety, livability, and economic vitality through efficient and collaborative application of building and development codes.
Are you a talented artist who is adept at making creative illustrations? Can you create maps, drawings and other graphics that bring things to life? Can you blend visuals and words in a seamless fashion? Do you have an excellent understanding of graphic design and is your portfolio full of demonstrated examples of top-notch work? Are you able to teach, instruct and lead others on projects to create great work? And are you capable of using the latest industry software to create high-level materials that communicate a clear and convincing message? Then this job may be the one for you
If you're the right person for this opportunity, you will have previous experience working in a fast-paced environment and understanding the pressures of meeting deadlines. You will have demonstrated your ability to juggle multiple projects and bring them to fruition in a timely manner. You will have an understanding of high-level principles and practices of sound business communication, and an excellent understanding of English usage, including spelling, grammar and punctuation. As the right person for this role, you must also use tact and discretion in dealing with sensitive situations and concerned people and customers; and have demonstrated your ability to resolve problems with little guidance.
ABOUT OUR JOB:
The Bureau of Development Services (BDS) is creating a multi-member Communications Team to help deliver a strong message - both internally and externally - about the work it does for residents and the city. Our Graphics Designer III reports directly to the Communications Manager and performs a variety of creative duties to bring BDS employees and their work to life. Those include:
- Developing, establishing and guiding the use of a clear and coherent visual brand for the bureau.
- Helping create a variety of new looks for the bureau's website, products and other informational materials.
- Using layout and other technical skills to improve the visual look of materials across the bureau to maximize the impact and understanding of our work.
- Using maps, computer illustrations, videos, drawings and other design techniques to enhance the bureau's work.
- Assisting the Communications Manager in guiding, planning, organizing and monitoring all visual work created by the communications team.
- Serving as the bureau's technical advisor for graphics, design, web page development and other visual projects.
- Working with managers and supervisors, and coaching divisions of the bureau in how to best represent work through the use of graphics.
- Developing projects from concept to completion that use graphics and other visuals to communicate a strong message, both internally and externally.
- Creating a graphics library for the bureau.
- Having a high level of knowledge around the use of industry standard software, including Adobe Creative Suite and other creative software.
This classification is represented by Professional & Technical Employees Local 17 (formerly known as COPPEA). To learn more, visit www.portlandoregon.gov/bhr/27840 and click on the appropriate link. The eligible list generated from this recruitment may also be used to fill future vacancies in other bureaus.
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Contact Brandi Johnston, Sr. Human Resources Analyst, 503-823-3555 or Brandi.Johnston@portlandoregon.gov
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Knowledge and experience applying the practices, methods and techniques of graphic design and layout, including making charts, graphs, drawings and other visual representations.
- Ability and experience independently performing advanced graphic design assignments with initiative and creativity. This includes conceptualizing projects and developing graphic, pictorial, model or other visual aids.
- Knowledge of and experience applying the principles and practices of project management and evaluation, including applying graphic design, writing style and techniques appropriate for differing audiences and purposes.
- Ability and experience establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other bureau, City employees and/or the public.
- Ability and experience operating a computer and advanced graphic, design, presentation and desktop publishing software to create visually appealing and effective graphic designs and layouts for print and visual materials.
- Special Requirements A valid state driver's license and an acceptable driving record may be required for certain assignments.
OPTIONAL INFORMATION SESSION:
To assist you in understanding this position and the recruitment process, we will offer an Optional Information Session that will provide you with details about this position and about the application process. You are not required to attend to apply for this job, but attending will help you with the application process. You are welcome to join us the optional session:
Friday, November 3, 2017
12:00 - 1:00 p.m.
1900 Building, 5th Floor Conf. Room 5a -1900 SW 4th Ave. Portland, OR 97201
For instructions on how to participate via Skype, please contact Madison (503) 823-1362 or Madison.Hutt@portlandoregon.gov no later than 2:00 p.m. (PST) two business days prior to the informational session date.
Candidates only! It is NOT OK for recruiters or others to solicit this company.