Founded in 1922, Foreign Affairs is published by the Council on Foreign Relations, which is a leading independent, national membership organization and nonpartisan center for scholars dedicated to producing and disseminating foreign policy ideas. Foreign Affairs publishes insightful commentary on global politics, diplomacy, and economics from experts with a wide range of views.
The Marketing Associate, Promotions reports to the Marketing Director, Foreign Affairs, and is assigned to help with the day-to-day branding tasks associated with running the magazine. These tasks include graphic design and quality control for subscription marketing campaigns and content marketing campaigns, as well as digital design tasks and the occasional staging of emails and newsletters. This role occasionally requires working with external vendors, conducting research projects and assisting with promotions for our advertising and events teams as needed.
The position is excellent for a candidate interested in hands-on experience with all the marketing operations of a multimedia publication that includes print, digital, advertising and events departments.
The major responsibilities of this position will include (but are not limited to):
- Executing design-related tasks for all email and social media subscription and content marketing campaigns, including creating and updating marketing collateral for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram using Adobe Creative Suite and occasionally creating print ads to run in the bi-monthly magazine.
- Conducting research projects and working on new initiatives (e.g. research, design, and quality control for new subscription premiums, or researching options for a Foreign Affairs store or a new high-end subscription tier).
- Assisting with draft copy for subscription marketing campaigns and content marketing campaigns.
- Working with remote vendors on oversight and quality control of design and copy for direct mail, renewals, and billing communications.
- Designing, maintaining, and updating house ads in Google DoubleClick for Publishers.
- Working with our Advertising and Events teams on digital promotions for sponsored products and events.
- Acting as a departmental backup for staging and deployment of email marketing efforts, including occasional email newsletter when needed.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field (e.g. graphic design, communications design, branding design, marketing design, or related major) with high academic achievement.
- 1+ years of experience in publishing, media, marketing, or a related industry.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including clear and effective written communication.
- High level of proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office, proficiency with InDesign.
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Results-oriented self-starter who can work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience or interest in international relations and foreign policy a plus.
- Basic HTML proficiency preferred.
Founded in 1921, the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) is a leading nonprofit membership organization, research center, and publisher, with headquarters in New York, an office in Washington, DC, and programs nationwide. It is dedicated to increasing America's understanding of the world and contributing ideas to U.S. foreign policy. CFR's 5,000+ members are leaders in international affairs and foreign policy. CFR also publishes Foreign Affairs, the preeminent magazine on global issues, and provides up-to-date information about the world and U.S. foreign policy on its award-winning website, CFR.org.
The Council on Foreign Relations offers a benefits package that is among the best offered by nonprofit institutions today, including an award-winning health and wellness program, an on-site fitness center, and generous leave policies and health insurance programs.
The Council on Foreign Relations is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks candidates from a diverse background.
Candidates only! It is NOT OK for recruiters or others to solicit this company.