Be part of something innovative and cutting edge. Join our team of more than a hundred software engineers, designers, project managers and software specialists that are smart, creative and excited by what they do.
Some of our ground-breaking work includes:
* advanced computer-adaptive algorithms (the only one that's peer-approved in the country)
* mobile support for the user interfaces
* learning management systems with social media features
* user interfaces that are universally accessible to people with or without disabilities
* innovative, machine-scorable items
The American Institutes for Research (AIR) is a leading professional services firm with a growing software engineering and product development team. We design and build things that are inspiring and make a real impact in the online testing industry. We are currently seeking a Technical Leader/Principal Software Engineer to join our team in the Washington, DC office.
Provide technical leadership of innovative, cutting-edge software projects
* Lead software design, engineering, and architecture efforts
* Partner with other technical leads and chief architects on architecting large-scale complicated solutions
* Oversee risk mitigation around performance, data integrity, and scalability
* Apply creative thinking/approach to determine technical solutions that further business goals, keeping in mind performance, reliability, scalability, usability, security, flexibility, and cost
* Inspire people through his/her technical know-how
* Skillfully identify problems and solve complex problems with simple solutions
* Provide technical leadership to project teams, including setting the architecture vision and roadmap, being the primary contact for technical communications
Ph.D. in Computer Science required; consideration will also be given to individuals who have evidence of intellectual aptitude, innovation, effectiveness, and follow-through
* 12 + years of extensive experience in building complex software projects, such as highly efficient real-time distributed data-driven systems
* 8+ years of hands-on experience as technical lead of complex software projects, including designing, building, and providing technical oversight to the development team and to a lesser extent, working with the systems engineering team
* 8+ years of proven expertise in being a Technical Lead of large-scale data-driven production systems that are heavily used
* Demonstrated experience in creating prototypes of cutting-edge systems and designing/building a production-ready version
* Expert knowledge in design of multi-tiered web systems
* Training and experience in artificial intelligence preferred
* Ability to communicate ideas and provide direction to more junior staff
* Application architecture/development experience with deep technology expertise in the following:
- Extensive hands on design/coding experience/skills on architecture design of large-scale platforms
- Strong service development experience with high performance and scalability
- SQL/NoSQL technology
- Web Services (REST/ SOAP)
- Service Oriented Architecture
Positions available in Reston, VA or Washington, D.C.
Salary: US$181295.86 - US$203578.57 per year
Candidates only! It is NOT OK for recruiters or others to solicit this company.