Atlas Obscura, the award-winning, Brooklyn-based travel and
media company, is seeking a designer to join our inhouse product
development team. This person will be responsible for creating
engaging and intuitive user experiences to support our passionate
community of readers and explorers, and for providing thoughtful
design solutions that help grow our business.
What You'll Do
- Design new features and functionality for our users across the
entire product lifecycle.
- Balance user needs with business needs. Our users inform where
we are going and our business informs how we get there. We solve
problems for real people, using real user insights, research, and
data to guide the work.
- Work closely with multi-disciplinary teams, partnering with
groups across the company to solve a range of design
- Work independently. You'll have ownership of your work and
you'll have support from your team to make it the best it can be.
You'll be responsible for every detail of your work from concept to
hand-off to QA.
- Pair frequently with our engineering team to ensure your
designs are brought to life and executed to a high standard.
- Create a range of solutions to a single problem, iterating on
the approach to build consensus through feedback cycles. You'll
know when to present sketches, when to prototype, and when to
create pixel-perfect designs to best communicate your
Who You Are
- You have at least 3-5 years experience designing digital
- You are a great designer, able to create well-rounded concepts
that excel in concept and craft.
- You can work within a defined design system, but can explain
why you might need to break outside of it
- You have fantastic communication skills. You're able to talk
about and write about your work to a variety of audiences.
- You're comfortable giving and seeking out input and feedback,
knowing how to best deliver or integrate it to benefit the
- You're adept at using Sketch and the Adobe Creative Suite.
You're familiar with file versioning (Abstract) and excited by the
potential of prototyping (Principle).
Nice to Have
- Experience designing for native mobile apps
- Robust prototyping skills
- A background in user testing
- Experience working within (and extending) an established design
Compensation is competitive and includes equity. Benefits for
full-time employees include flexible time off, family leave, and
contributions toward health, dental, and vision for both employee
and family. We value diversity and are committed to an inclusive
work environment and a fair and consistent interview process.