If you're a budding and talented designer with a passion for
developing resources with visual impact and putting your creative
talents to work for a good cause, we want to meet you. The News
Literacy Project (NLP) is looking for a full-time visual designer
who cares deeply about journalism and about news literacy
education. There is intense public interest in NLP's work, and we
are experiencing tremendous growth. This is an opportunity for you
to have your work be widely seen and appreciated by students and
educators and a growing public audience across the country and
around the world.
The ideal candidate will be:
- A creative problem-solver who can translate needs and requests
into polished products.
- A well-rounded creator who can design for a variety of digital
and print collateral.
- A flexible and curious team player who learns through
exchanging ideas and feedback.
We're looking for someone to adopt our brand standards quickly
and has the ability to work both independently and
Founded in 2008, the News Literacy Project is a national
nonpartisan education nonprofit that empowers educators to teach
middle school and high school students how to sort fact from
fiction in the digital age. Our central offering is the
Checkologyvirtual classroom, an online e-learning hub. Since
the platform was introduced in 2016, more than 25,000 teachers have
registered to use it in all 50 states, the District of Columbia,
four U.S. territories and 112 other countries.
About the position
As a visual designer, you will work closely with NLP's creative
services team to create and develop a variety of branded work for
NLP. We are seeking an all-around design talent who can work from
initial ideation through execution to create illustrations, spot
imagery, layouts, infographics and other visual elements that will
enliven and enrich our daily content, online curriculum, website
and ongoing marketing campaigns. The successful candidate will be
conversant in digital culture and journalism and enthusiastic about
helping people learn online.
In this job, you will:
- Work cross-functionally with the different NLP teams for a
variety of projects, including collaborations with the
communications, marketing, education, administration and
- Create visually compelling graphics, illustrations, icons and
other visuals for use across multiple platforms: on our website and
our education platforms, in emails, on our social media channels,
in presentations, in videos and in print materials.
- Collaborate in cultivating our brand visual standards
(including illustration, iconography, photography, typography and
colors) to achieve consistency across platforms and to create
cohesive design systems that reflect our work and our
- Communicate concepts and design rationale to project
In addition to the experience and skills noted, the successful
candidate will also have all or most of the following:
- BA/BFA in visual design and/or a strong portfolio
- 2+ years in a hands-on design role, within an agency or an
- Experience with virtual work environment (both technology tools
and personal skills).
- Extensive experience with Adobe Creative Cloud, including
Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and Acrobat Pro; experience with
Premiere and AfterEffects is a plus.
- Demonstrable experience with infographics and visual work that
- Firm understanding of design thinking, graphic design
principles and a disciplined eye for typography and visual
- Familiarity with best practices for content accessibility.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and stay within budget.
Additional qualifications that would be helpful, but are not
- Photography and photo editing skills.
- Knowledge of WordPress and Microsoft SharePoint.
- Familiarity with web development and email development,
- Understanding of UI/UX principles and current digital design
Compensation and benefits
Salary is based on experience and qualifications. NLP offers
outstanding benefits, including health and dental insurance, a
401(k) plan and more.
This position is virtual; the successful candidate can live
anywhere in the continental United States.
The application deadline is Nov. 30. We are
looking to hire for a start date in January.
The News Literacy Project welcomes applicants from diverse
backgrounds. We offer equal opportunity in employment for all
qualified persons and prohibit discrimination in employment on the
basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including sexual
orientation and gender identity), national origin, ancestry, age,
veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic
information, military service or other protected status.