Washington, DC // Richmond, VA // virtually anywhere
Senior Creative, 18 years experience in graphic/visual design + interface design (UI, UX, IA). Emphasis on typography, branding, and information design. Looking for new opportunities, both consulting/freelance and full-time. Especially interested in transitioning into motion graphics/broadcast design.
- Creative/User Experience Design Specialist
- Richmond, VA
Feb 2010 - Present
- Working as an Independent Contractor, providing creative and UX services (interface design, visual design) to a variety of clients including:
Center for the Visually Impaired
Notable achievement: Redesigned the interface for National Geographic's NatGeoTV website (http://www.natgeotv.com) which relaunched in July 2010.
- User Experience Design Manager
- Washington, DC
Jun 2006 - Jan 2010
- AOL / America Online
- Directed the product design team for AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) Community products. Responsible for all aspects of the User Interface and Experience Design. Spearheaded the initial design and launch of AIM Profiles (social network), AIM Photos (photo sharing), and AIM Chat. Helped develop the AIM Lifestream platform, bringing Facebook and Twitter interop into AIM. Maintained sites through iterative updates based on site traffic/metrics, usability testing, and user feedback. Supervised designers by leading design reviews, managing workloads, establishing guidelines and best practices, facilitating career paths, and listening. Delivered UI wireframes, visual design, user flows, and design and technical specs. Collaborated with project managers, dev teams and designers globally, from Santa Monica to Dublin to Bangalore.
- Principal User Interface Designer, Senior Visual Designer
- Washington, DC
Jun 2003 - Jun 2006
- AOL / America Online
- Developed User Interface and Experience Design of AOL Sports and AOL News websites. Also responsible for design of feature packages such as the SuperBowl, AOL’s SuperBowl Commercial Poll, the NCAA Finals, the Olympics, and Elections, all with traffic between 5-20mm page views. Completely redesigned Sports scoreboards and live in-game experience. Provided wireframes, user flows, sitemaps, interaction design and documentation, as well as visual design assets as needed. Worked in tight collaboration with channel producers, project managers, and development teams, and supervised teams of designers.
- Creative Director, Senior Art Director
- Washington, DC
Dec 1999 - Jan 2003
- The New Media Group
- Led the design and implementation of compelling websites and collateral materials for a broad range of high-profile clients at boutique design studio. Provided lead creative direction for design teams in the development of content strategy, information architecture, user interface wireframes, and visual design for websites, marketing materials and related collateral. Additional tasks involved client/ project management, leading design review sessions, collaborating with developers to ensure visual and functional integrity, and managing and mentoring design staff. Clients included Discovery/Travel Channel, AOL Time Warner, U.S. Department of State, PBS, Denver Broncos, and XM Radio.
- Interactive Art Director, Senior Designer
- Seattle, WA
Oct 1993 - Oct 1999
- Provided interactive design and art direction for a variety of new media projects, including corporate websites and intranets; commercial and educational CD-ROMs; educational and retail kiosks; and corporate event keynote support. Specific tasks included visual design, motion graphics design and production, art direction and supervision, user interface design, usability testing, digital video and audio production, and basic HTML and Director programming. Also provided live, on-site keynote support for “corporate theater” presentations for clients such as Nintendo and Intel. Additional clients included Acura, Starbucks, IBM, Microsoft, AT&T, Jantzen Swimwear, Alaska Airlines, Disney Vacation Club, Kenworth Trucks, U.S. Department of Energy, and Seattle Children’s Hospital.
- Partial Client list, 1995-2010
- National Geographic Channel
AOL Time Warner
U.S. Department of State
Disney Vacation Club
U.S. Department of Energy
Seattle Children’s Hospital
- Notable Achievements
- --Created one of the earliest known interactive resumes, "Please Don't Make lee costic Move Back In With His Parents" in 1991.
--Provided art direction, design, and live, on-site keynote support for “corporate theater” presentations for Nintendo and Intel, 1995-1998.
--Provided art direction, design, and production for websites that served as companion pieces to broadcast specials on Discovery/Travel Channel, 2000-2001.
--Redesigned U.S. Department of State website, 2002.
--Provided UX and visual design for AOL Sports feature packages such as the SuperBowl, AOL’s SuperBowl Commercial Poll, the NCAA Finals, the 2006 Winter Olympics, plus AOL News Elections 2006 coverage, 2004-2006.
--Directed the initial design and launch of AOL Instant Messenger's AIM Profiles (social network) and AIM Photos (photo sharing) websites, 2007.
--Constructed the Hanover Starlite Backyard Theater, 2006. Provided all creative support, technical direction, promotion + publicity, and management, 2006-present.
--Part of a team that delivered Mobile Computing Lab donated by AOL to St. Jude's Children's Hospital in Memphis, 2009. Used social networking and creative promotions for St. Jude's fundraising; become top individual fundraiser in Central Virginia for the 2009 St. Jude's Give Thanks Walk.