Head of Product
New York City, NY
I do product, design, UX, and strategy in interactive: web, responsive, mobile, e-commerce. I also work in photography and industrial design. Always looking for opportunities to work with talented people on complex and challenging projects.
- Head of Product, Creative Director
- New York, NY
2010 - Present
- smlxl design
- I created smlxl as a boutique, full-service agency. It also serves as an umbrella for consulting, freelance, and other work. I do product, design, UX, and strategy in interactive: web, responsive, mobile, e-commerce. I also work in photography and industrial design. Always looking for opportunities to work with talented people on complex and challenging projects. In NYC, LA, and Chicago since 1993.
Interactive: I am a creative & product leader with deep experience building customer-focused solutions that drive the bottom line. Succeeding through the combination of passion for innovative & effective user experiences with the breadth of knowledge needed to deliver them. I build teams that build excellent products. I have a proven track record of success on complex, ambitious initiatives — as leader, liaison and concrete contributor. Clients and projects include: ADP, Huge, Nestlé, MyPublisher (acquired by Shutterfly), Citibank, Nourish, and more. Other engagements have included rapidly developing e-commerce startups as well as leaders across a spectrum of verticals and industries.
Photography: Freelance, commissions, and independent work. Editorial, gallery / collections / museums. Social media and advertising.
Industrial Design: Flexible, modular, and interchangeable case & bag systems. Designed and created to order for photographers and others with unique requirements when toting the tools of their trade.
- Executive Producer (Product Development)
- New York, NY
Jul 1999 - May 2010
- The second employee at FreshDirect, I defined and lead all customer-facing aspects of the brand and shopping experience. I oversaw product management and user experience for www.freshdirect.com and all related channels.
Creative & User Experience
• Defined and oversaw the development & evolution of e-commerce as well as all multi-channel communications: concept, user experience, interface design and content development.
• Drove to an annual revenue of $240 million with sustained and profitable growth by managing and/or creating every customer-facing component of the complete, end-to-end experience of FreshDirect.
• Led initiative review and prioritization process with Senior Management, defining and optimizing a multi-million dollar portfolio of major new features, functionalities and enhancements.
• Created and owned the Recommender Systems practice for personalized recommendations and collaborative filtering. Grew to account for over 12% of all sales in its first eighteen months.
• Established mobile commerce strategy and launched the FreshDirect iPhone app in 2009.
• Helped build, manage and inspire a Creative Department comprising IA and UX, Art Direction, Photography, Editorial, and Content Management
• Forged strong partnerships as a cross-functional liaison to reinforce shared priorities among diverse teams.
• Optimized capabilities and time-to-market through the direct management of key vendor and third-party relationships.
- Senior Designer
- New York, NY
1997 - 1999
- Sony Music
- Led the design, implementation and presentation of Sony's first-ever prototype for online music delivery. Responsible for strategy, art direction, design, and implementation of online presences and experiences across Sony Music Entertainment properties. Worked with key artists: Bob Dylan, Mariah Cary, et al. as well as major labels: Sony Music, Columbia Records, Sony Classical, Red Records.
- Senior Producer
- New York, NY
1996 - 1997
- Eagle River Interactive
- Built out the NYC offices of Eagle River, the world's largest interactive agency at the time. Hired and directed teams of designers, programmers, and engineers. Defined and managed interactive and e-commerce projects, new business development and client services. Clients included American Express, IBM, Pfizer and Merrill Lynch. (Eagle River merged with Agency.com in 1998.)
- Chicago, Illinois
1992 - 1994
- School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- Bronxville, NY
1987 - 1991
- Sarah Lawrence College