Founded in 2009, Atlas Obscura is the definitive guide to the world's hidden wonders. Our mission is to inspire curiosity about the incredible world we all share by encouraging our millions of readers to explore and experience the more than 15,000 unique places and foods our community has collected. As a Product Designer you'll help craft intuitive, empathic digital experiences that push this mission forward, leveraging our existing brand vocabulary while also helping define extensions of it. Our Agile product team, of which you'll be a core part, is deeply collaborative, and each member is encouraged to develop his or her own ideas for supporting the company's mission.
We are looking for someone who is
- Passionate about clear, functional design and a strong advocate for our users;
- A multi-faceted design-thinker who knows about brand systems, usability, development technology, and modern web standards;
- Keen on defining-and sometimes redefining-functional requirements for user interfaces;
- Well organized, articulate, detail-oriented, and a problem solver.
The ideal candidate has
- Demonstrated success with clear and functional digital design, responsive layouts, usability standards, and web technologies;
- A great understanding of typography and classic design concepts;
- Some branding and identity design experience or experience successfully working within an established brand system;
- Ability to work swiftly and iteratively on multiple, overlapping projects;
- A portfolio demonstrating a solid understanding of the above;
- 3-5 years professional experience with digital and interactive projects;
- Proficiency in Sketch, Invision, Adobe Illustrator and InDesign;
What will make you stand out
- Experience coding your own designs with HTML and CSS;
- Experience working on an in-house, Agile product team;
- A passion for Atlas Obscura's mission and a deep curiosity about the world.
Atlas Obscura is headquartered in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Compensation is competitive and includes equity. Benefits for full-time employees include flexible time off, family leave, and contributions toward health, dental, and vision for both employee and family. We value diversity and are committed to an inclusive work environment and a fair and consistent interview process.
Email email@example.com To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Product Designer” in the subject line and include your cover letter in the body of your email, a PDF resume, and link(s) to your portfolio.
Candidates only! It is NOT OK for recruiters or others to solicit this company.