About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites nominations and applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position in the Illustration Department, School of Graduate Studies.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The College continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instruction design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
A vital and growing part of FIT's rich educational mix, the School of Graduate Studies provides advanced professional education in seven disciplines closely tied to the College's mission, promotion in the post-baccalaureate study of business, art, fashion and design. The School is dedicated to advancing research in the creative industries and fostering collaboration and a dialogue that links faculty and students to outstanding professionals and practitioners.
The Illustration Department in the School of Graduate Studies at FIT confers the MFA through a 60-credit evening and weekend program delivered over three years. Developed with industry advisors and industry-active faculty, the curriculum speaks to the ongoing convergence of art and technology, preparing students to be innovative visual communicators, and fosters the entrepreneurial approach that professional illustrators need for success in the world of art and commerce. The department emphasizes a studio practice in drawing, painting and digital media, and emphasizes the integration of traditional and digital techniques with the goal of enabling each student to express their original voice. The faculty of noted illustrators offer rigorous assignments that elicit high quality, competitive work. The program requires a written thesis and culminates in a visual thesis, which is presented in the Gallery of the Museum at FIT. The curriculum develops and enriches students' aesthetic, analytical, and technological abilities by offering progressive, student-centered scholarship and experiences that integrate theory and practice in illustration and visual narrative communication.
The mission of the School of Graduate Studies Illustration Department is to deliver an MFA curriculum that educates students in the art and practice of Illustration. This mission is consistent with FIT's mission to prepare students for professional excellence in design and business through rigorous and adaptable academic programs, experiential learning, and innovative partnerships. FIT is located in Chelsea, a leading contemporary art center, with hundreds of galleries in easy reach of campus; other resources for the department include the Museum at FIT and the Special Collections of the Gladys Marcus Library.
The College reserves the right to select one or more candidates after having been duly reviewed and presented to the President in conformance with the provisions of Article 15 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
The School of Graduate Studies seeks a full-time faculty member to chair the Illustration Department. The ideal candidate will maintain an active professional practice and will have a broad understanding of required competencies for a career in the field. The candidate should demonstrate expertise in all areas of the industry, including editorial illustration, publishing, visual narrative, children's books, comics and graphic novels, advertising art, production and concept art, and should be skilled in maintaining relationships and negotiating with clients. The candidate must also possess and be able to foster professional networks and relationships with contemporary illustrators and organizations such as The Society of Illustrators, and capable of mobilizing those contacts for the benefit of the department, the School of Graduate Studies, and the College. A familiarity and understanding of digital applications and promotion of a personal and professional practice is essential.
The successful candidate will hold a terminal degree and have a significant personal and professional practice, evidenced through creative work, exhibitions, publications, conference presentations, and invited lectures. The candidate will have a successful record in teaching, thesis advisement, curriculum building, and mentoring advanced students. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in academic leadership, including previous positions as a department chair, director, or manager in some capacity. The candidate will exhibit the ability to work with a small group of faculty peers and will be prepared to serve on school-side and college-wide committees, as necessary. In addition to having significant professional ability, the candidate must commit to advancing the department in ways and that align with the goals of the FIT strategic plan for 2020.
Successful candidates will excel in the following areas::
- Demonstrate broad knowledge, awareness and industry experience in illustration and publishing practices in an international market.
- Possess the ability to communicate a broad range of cross-cultural and linguistic artistic values in relation to narrative art, and personal and professional Illustration.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and engagement with industry worldwide, through exhibitions, publications, conference presentations, and professional networks.
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively in international setting with colleagues from multicultural backgrounds.
- Design and deliver course content that balances the importance of creative practice with practical application.
- Possess the ability to integrate studio practice with related curricula, including essays, articles, multimedia art, and scholarly content.
- Adapt course content to adjust to changing industry, global, and client trends, while respecting local issues and challenges.
- Demonstrate intense involvement in a variety of professional applications of illustration, including connections to industry, institutions, and academic partners.
- Demonstrate fluency with state-of-the-art technology and specialized equipment necessary in the classroom environment.
- Demonstrate a capacity for mentoring and leading advanced students through an intense and empowering curriculum.
- Demonstrate passion for the work and ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and visually.
- Demonstrate a passion for learning with the ability to inspire interest, curiosity, and creativity in advanced students.
- Demonstrate the use of a variety of instructional delivery methods that foster critical thinking and creative problem solving within the fields of illustration, sequential art, and narrative visual art.
- Demonstrate a commitment to interdisciplinary and experiential learning approaches.
- Demonstrate the vision to build and advance the department through enhanced curricular approaches and regular assessment.
- Demonstrate a commitment to enhancing student interaction, collaboration, and creativity in the classroom.
- Demonstrate a commitment to facilitating industry networks, professional experience, and other real world opportunities for students.
- Possess the ability to utilize a variety of creative, studio-based instructional delivery methods to improve student learning.
- Possesses the ability to lead students in developing artistic practice in the context of critical thinking, problem-solving, visual and verbal communication skills, as well as critical analysis, intellectual discourse, and thoughtful skepticism.
- Maintain highly active engagement in creative and/or scholarly activities relevant to the illustration community.
- Possess willingness to share professional contacts and opportunities to achieve department and college goals.
- Demonstrate the ability to serve as a college representative on matters related to illustration, publishing, and visual art community, as well as issues related to the department and its mission.
- Applies a wide variety of artistic practices and topics in studio and classroom contexts.
- Engage in creative and/or scholarly activities within all applications of illustration in a wide variety of disciplines and industries.
- Demonstrate a high level of technological skills relevant to illustration, animation, sequential art, and the entertainment industry.
- Demonstrate a commitment to building expertise and leading students in the development and maintenance of technological skills.
- Demonstrate ability to communicate through technology and to adapt delivery of course content and management using FIT technology.
Candidates should have a terminal degree in the field, significant industry experience (6+ years), significant teaching experience at the graduate level (3+ years), and significant academic leadership experience, ideally as a department chair or director. Preference will be given to candidates with a record of significant creative work, including publications, exhibitions, and/or industry awards.
This is a full-time, tenure-track position beginning in Spring 2018. Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled. Salary and appointment rank will be based on education level and experience. Please note that a background check is required for appointment to this position.
For consideration, please provide:
- Letter of interest clearly indicating your qualifications for the position;
- Professional resume/Curriculum Vitae;
- A minimum of three professional references, including names, titles, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail contact information.
Please note due that due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to contact each applicant individually. Additional information about the Fashion Institute of Technology can be found at www.fitnyc.edu.
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates only! It is NOT OK for recruiters or others to solicit this company.