In a nutshell:
IDEO New York is in search of an Interaction Design Lead capable of managing projects, with a focus on leading teams towards integrating digital designs into products, services, experiences, spaces, and brands. You will collaborate across disciplines to create design solutions for a diversity of industries, scales, and media. In this role you'll be involved with all parts of the design process: proposal writing, user research, concept development, prototyping, working with developers, and design stewardship. We're looking for someone who is equally passionate about designing elegant user experiences as they are using systems thinking and human-centered design as a source of inspiration to solve complex problems.
Why is this role important for IDEO's work?
Interaction Design Leads are also Project Leads on our work. A Project Lead is one of IDEO's most valued roles. You are central to shaping our work, teams, process, and client relationships. You'll focus on some of the most impactful work we do leading projects and multi-disciplinary teams to bring about change inside and outside IDEO. You are not just recreating what has worked, but inventing new interaction paradigms. If a client wanted a traditional web shop, they would have hired one. We are here to invent new ways of using digital to interact.
Once here, you'll...
- Focus on a range of digital, large-scale and complex challenges. Key activities include design leadership, structured thinking to inform information architectures and other conceptual frameworks, talent development, and business development.
- Have the opportunity to develop a unique point of view about the ways media and technology are impacting human behaviors and attitudes. Between understanding the pulse of our changing times and digging your hands into creating leading-edge solutions, you'll help our studio build its technology chops while challenging the world to see opportunities it hadn't yet noticed.
- You'll go out into the world for inspiration, and use research-based insights to spot opportunities for innovation within constraints.
- You'll champion the impact of design on everyday life.
- You'll build an understanding of the value and dynamics of client organizations, and partner with clients to drive innovation.
- You'll design digital, service, organizational, and systems experiences; think beyond screen UI.
- You'll work with an incredibly diverse and passionate group of world-class designers on a wide array of local and global challenges.
- You'll travel occasionally for research and/or client meetings
- Experience: At least 5-7 years interaction/graphic design experience across a variety of digital media. Regardless of your current role, you still love getting your hands dirty in the design process to create elegant digital experiences.
- Visual design sensibility: You distinguish between "good" and "great" work and know beauty and emotion matter as much as logic. You have a point of view about your work and a passion for design and learning new methods of designing digital experiences. You know details matter. A lot.
- Systemic thinker: You can logically visualize complex systems, user interaction flows, and beautiful user interfaces.
- Prototyping: You understand that you succeed sooner by trial and understand that digital prototyping can be done at various levels of fidelity and have experience doing and leading that work. Static printouts of a screen won't cut it. Interactions are just that - a visceral experience over time integrating flow and animation.
- Communication skills: You have strong verbal, written, and presentation skills, and are able to compellingly communicate the story of your design solutions.
- Team player: You're a confident and flexible leader of interdisciplinary teams where collaboration is imperative.
- Empathy: You are great at understanding how to turn human behavior and needs into real concepts and are obsessed with what design and technology can do for people.
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It's a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. We work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
Pop Quiz - we are curious to hear from you:
What do you think is the most well designed website in the world right now? What do you like about it? If you could make it even better, what would you do?
Application - what we'll need from you:
Please submit your resume, portfolio, and cover letter with your answer to the pop quiz above to be considered for this opportunity.
Candidates only! It is NOT OK for recruiters or others to solicit this company.