In a nutshell:
We are looking for a Senior Interaction Designer who is
passionate about designing elegant user experiences, deeply
considering and supporting the interactions people have with
complex systems, software, services, and each other.
Why is this role important for IDEO's work?
Interaction Designers have impact by crafting the structure and
behavior of products and services. Is it clear how to navigate and
find information? Does the design give people confidence by
responding the way they expect? Does it transcend mere
functionality and become something people enjoy? This role is
crucial in translating human-centered insights into actionable
experiences for people.
We are a global design company committed to creating positive impact. A community of designers, entrepreneurs, engineers, teachers, researchers, our shared values and beliefs influence the work that we do, and the impact we hope to achieve. As early leaders of human-centered design, we keep people at the center of our work. It's a key tenet of design thinking, and even as our methods evolve in response to new, complex challenges, we’re always designing solutions for people first. We’re building to learn, and learning as we build, through inspiration, ideation, and implementation.
Once here you will:
- Work on projects that identify and solve problems across a
variety of industries.
- Collaborate with designers from different backgrounds such as
design researchers, business designers, industrial designers, and
communication designers to develop a holistic design for our
- Create "looks like/works like" prototypes that communicate a
design to potential users and client stakeholders.
- Design across a wide variety of mediums: mobile apps, websites,
digital/physical controls, room-scale displays, AR/VR, voice user
interfaces - whatever is appropriate for the varied context of our
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It's a place where you can
solve complex challenges for our clients or the organization,
alongside thoughtful individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy,
and optimism. We work hard, but we also craft moments that allow
our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our
community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for
work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and
Some previous projects to check out:
- Rise Science: Partnered with a sleep analytics start-up to
develop a comprehensive sleep training system for professional
athletes and scale the business.
- Swell: Collaborated on a new venture and digital product aimed
at helping consumers invest in portfolios of stocks that align with
- Ascensia: Created and launched a comprehensive diabetes
management system that included a glucose meter and app.
- You can review more of IDEO's workhere.
Relevant experience and mindset:
- 3-5 years interaction design experience across a variety of
- Bachelor's and/or graduate degree in Interaction Design,
Graphic Design, New Media, HCI, or other relevant degree.
- Experience with a variety of design tools such as Sketch,
Figma, InVision, Framer, Principle, Adobe CC suite, HTML/CSS/JS,
Processing/P5, Arduino, etc.
- Systems thinking: Able to tackle complex, interconnected
challenges and use design to both communicate that complexity and
prototype interventions that provide clarity and simplicity.
- Passion for design: Able to distinguish between 'good' and
'great' and are able to not only identify best practices, but push
boundaries and explore new territory.
- Team skills: Able to collaborate in participatory, team-based
environment and support and inspire teams through collaboration as
well as direction, vision, and planning of deliverables.
- Communication: Strong verbal and visual presentation skills, as
well as an articulate point of view about design. An ability to
understand the value of design within a business context.
- Prototyping: Able to learn from failure, embrace an iterative
process and understand that success comes sooner with trial and
error. Experience in delivering low and high fidelity
Application requirements and instructions:
Please submit a resume, cover letter (yes, we read cover
letters), and a portfolio .pdf or link.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
IDEO is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered
for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex,
national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental
disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or
military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other
status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.